Linux Proxy Support for Amazon Web Services
You can configure a Linux instance to act as a Virtual Server Agent (VSA) proxy for Commvault backups and restores.
You can use a Linux proxy for streaming or IntelliSnap backup operations and restore operations.
- Commvault Service Pack 13 or a more recent service pack
- CentOS 7.4 or RHEL 7.5
- Commvault Virtual Server Agent package
- If you use an on-premises deployment of the CommServe system, configure a firewall as described in Configuring a Firewall to Install the Virtual Server Agent on a Cloud VM or Instance before you deploy the Linux proxy.
- From AWS Marketplace AMI, you can deploy the Commvault Media Agent - BYOL Edition to serve as a Linux proxy and as a File Recovery Enabler for Linux. This AMI contains all of the components that are required to support Linux operations in the Commvault environment.
For more information, see Deploying the Commvault MediaAgent.
- Configure a CentOS instance with Mono, and then install Commvault Virtual Server Agent and MediaAgent packages on the instance.
For more information, see the following pages:
- Streaming backups
- IntelliSnap backups
- Instance filters
- Volume filters
- Full instance restores (HotAdd method)
- Restore volume and attach to new or existing instance
- Live browse
- Restore guest files and folders
- Agentless file recovery using Command Center
- Live sync replication (HotAdd method) to Amazon when using a Linux proxy to replicate a Linux guest VM (including failover and failback support)
Note: For cross-hypervisor restores or live sync replication from VMware to Amazon, you must use a VSA proxy that runs on Windows.
The following features are not supported when using a Linux proxy. Use a Windows proxy for these operations.
- Full instance restores (import method)
- Conversion from another hypervisor to AWS (import method).
- Conversion from another hypervisor to AWS (HotAdd method) is not supported when using a Linux proxy to convert a Windows guest VM.
- Conversion from another hypervisor to AWS (import method) is not supported when using a Linux proxy to convert a Windows guest VM.
- Live sync replication (import method).
- Live sync replication (HotAdd method) to Amazon is not supported when using a Linux proxy to replicate a Windows guest VM.
Note: The HotAdd restore method is used for restore operations that meet the following conditions:
- Use an AWS instance as a VSA proxy.
- Restore an instance to the same zone as the VSA proxy that is used for the operation.
- Specify Windows guest VM credentials for the restore operation (credentials are not required for Linux guest VMs).
- If a VSA proxy running Windows is used for the operation, the Amazon folder under the Commvault install_directory must contain the AWSPVDriverSetup.msi and Ec2Install.exe components.
If any of these conditions are not met for a restore operation, the import method is used.
Last modified: 2/5/2019 7:23:17 PM