Preinstallation Checklist for the Oracle Agent on Windows
The Oracle Agent backs up and restores Oracle databases in your enterprise. You can also configure the agent to incorporate archiving and snap management solutions. For more information, see the Oracle Backup Administrator Guide.
Use the preinstallation checklist to prepare the computer where the agent will be installed and to gather all of the information you will need during the installation.
Verify System Requirements
Verify that the computer where you will install the agent satisfies the minimum requirements. For more information, see System Requirements.
Verify License Requirements
Based on the licensing mechanism used in your CommCell environment, verify that the CommCell has the required licenses to use the Oracle Agent. For more information, see License Requirements.
Determine the Installation Location
Based on your environment, install the Oracle Agent on the appropriate computer.
Environment Where to install the software Non-Clustered On the computer on which the Oracle server resides. Clustered On the physical nodes of the cluster where the Oracle server resides.
If you want to protect the Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC), install the agent on all the nodes of the Oracle RAC.
Prepare the Oracle Services to Restart
Commvault software restarts the Oracle services after the installation. Plan your installation for a time when a reboot can occur.
Gather Installation Data
Refer to the items in this section to gather the information that you will need during the installation. Record the information before you begin installing the software, so you can refer to it during the installation.
You can install the agent using either the CommCell Console or the installation package created by the Download Manager. Any item that applies to only one of these installation methods is noted.
- Commvault package to install
Oracle package, which is listed under the
Note:If the File System Agent is not installed on the computer, the File System Core and File System packages are automatically installed with the package you selected. The File System Agent will not consume any license.
To gather the required information for the File System Agent, refer to the Gather Installation Data section in the Preinstallation Checklist for the Windows File System Agent.
- Client computer details
If the File System Agent, or another package, is already installed on the computer, you are not required to gather all the computer details again. The level of detail depends on how the package you selected is installed:
- For installations using the CommCell Console, the installation program requests only the name of the client computer.
- For installations using the installation package, the installation program reads the details from the previous installation.
- Restart the Oracle services
- Oracle services must be restarted after the installation.
- For installations using the CommCell Console, select the Restart Oracle/DB2 Service (if applicable. Oracle DB2 instance needs to be restarted to load Simpana media library for Data Protection) option.
- For installations using the installation package, select the Process Manager option.