Preinstallation Checklist for the SQL Server Agent
The Microsoft SQL Server Agent backs up and restores SQL system databases, user databases and transaction logs in your enterprise. The SQL Server Agent also performs both full system rebuilds and granular backup and recovery of your data. For more information, see SQL Server Agent Overview.
Use this preinstallation checklist to prepare the computer where the SQL Server Agent will be installed and to gather all the information required during the installation.
Verify System RequirementsVerify that the computer where you will install the Microsoft SQL Server Agent satisfies the minimum requirements. For more information, see System Requirements - SQL Server Agent.
Verify License RequirementsBased on the licensing mechanism used in your CommCell environment, verify that the CommCell has the required licenses to use the SQL Server Agent. For more information, see License Requirements - SQL Server Agent.
Determine the Installation Location
Based on your environment, install the SQL Server Agent on the appropriate computer.
Environment Where to install the software Non-Clustered On the computer where the SQL Server resides. Clustered On the physical nodes of the cluster where the SQL Server resides.
Gather Installation Data
Refer to the items in this section to gather the information that you will need during the installation. Record the information before you begin installing the software so that you can refer to it during the installation.
You can install the SQL Server Agent by using either the CommCell Console or the installation package created by the Download Manager. Any item that applies to only one of these installation methods is noted.
- Commvault package to install
- Install the SQL Server package, which is listed under the Database category.
If the File System Agent is not installed on the computer, the File System Core and File System packages are automatically installed with the package you selected. The File System Agent will not consume any license.
To gather the required information for the File System Agent, refer to the Gather Installation Data section in the Preinstallation Checklist for the Windows File System Agent.
- Client computer details
If the File System Agent, or another package, is already installed on the computer, you are not required to gather all the computer details again. The level of detail depends on how the package you selected is installed:
- For installations using the CommCell Console, the installation program requests only the name of the client computer.
- For installations using the installation package, the installation program reads the details from the previous installation.
- SQL Server details
- If the option to install SQL Server is disabled, verify that there is at least one network protocol enabled. For SQL Server 2005, go to SQL Server Configuration Manager and enable protocols for each instance.
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) is required on the client machine. By default, SMO is automatically installed with SQL Server 2005 or later versions.