Considerations for Installing 32-Bit Software on 64-Bit Windows Computers
After you understand the requirements and limitations that are associated with enabling 32-bit installations, you can begin your 32-bit installations. For instructions, see Enabling 32-Bit Installations on 64-Bit Windows Computers.
If the 64-bit computer where you plan to install 32-bit agents has other Commvault software installed, you must install the 32-bit agents on a new Commvault instance. You can have 32-bit and 64-bit agents running on the same computer, but they must be installed on separate instances.
For more information, see Enabling Multi-Instance Installations.
Tip: You can easily install 32-bit agents on a new instance from the CommCell Console. During the remote installation, you can select the options to install 32-bit agents and to install in a new instance.
Windows File System Agent
The 32-bit version of the agent does not support the following operations:
- VSS backups and restores.
- System state backups.
- Full system restores for RSM, RSS, Terminal Services, and disk quota.
If you want to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Exchange agents on a 64-bit computer, use the following approach:
- Install the 64-bit agent.
- Install the 32-bit agent on a separate instance.
The new instance contains the 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange agents. You can use the 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange Agent along with 64-bit Exchange agents.
If you plan to install 32-bit MAPI-based Agents, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- You must have the 32-bit version of Microsoft Outlook 2007or later installed on the computer where the agent will be installed.
- If you plan to install the OWA Proxy Enabler on a separate instance to support the functionality for 32-bit Exchange agents, the client name that you specify during the installation must be the same as the client hosting the 64-bit instance.
SQL Server Agent
The 32-bit version of the SQL Server Agent does not support VSS backups and restores.