Upgrading Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise to Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition
Applies to: CommServe computer running Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition
By default, Commvault installs the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition during the installation of the CommServe software or other server packages.
If your CommServe computer is using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition, you can upgrade to Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition by following the steps described in this procedure.
Before You BeginCreate an installation package by using the Download Manager. The installation package must include the Microsoft SQL Server and the necessary Commvault server packages, such as the CommServe or Workflow Engine. For instructions about creating the package, see Downloading Software for Windows Computers Using the Download Manager.
- Disable CommCell activities.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommServe node and then click Properties.
- On the Activity Control tab, clear all the check boxes, except the Enable All Job Activity check box, and then click OK.
This ensures that no new jobs are performed, except for disaster recovery operations, VM provisioning jobs, and workflow jobs.
- From the Job Controller, kill all jobs that are in progress, or wait for the jobs to finish.
- Perform a disaster recovery (DR) backup.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommServe node and then click All Tasks > Disaster Recovery Backup.
- On the Disaster Recovery Options dialog box, click OK.
The DR backup files are saved to the location specified in the DR Backup Settings dialog box that is available from the Control Panel. The DR backup includes the CommServe database dump file. By default, the dump file name is commserv.dmp.
- Uninstall the CommServe software. For instructions, see Uninstalling the CommServe Software.
Note: You can ignore the requirement to uninstall MediaAgent and client computers mentioned in the uninstallation procedure.
- Uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 software. For instructions, refer to the Microsoft documentation.
- If the CommServe computer is in a cluster environment, you must install the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition manually before the CommServe installation. For instructions, see Pre-Installing the Microsoft SQL Server Software.
For non-cluster environments, proceed to the next step to install the CommServe software. The SQL Server software is installed automatically during the CommServe installation.
- Install the CommServe software, and during the installation, submit the database dump file that you obtained from the DR backup. For instructions, see Installing the CommServe Software.
During the installation, make sure to specify the following settings:
- On the Select Packages page of the installation wizard, select CommServe and any other package that you had in your old CommServe computer.
- On the Database Install Option page, click Use Existing Database and select the CommServe check box.
- On the Database Dump Location page, specify the location of the CommServe database dump file that you obtained in step 2.
- Enable CommCell activities.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommServe node, and click Properties.
- On the Activity Control tab, enable all the activities that you cleared in Step 1 and click OK.
- Perform a test backup. Refer to the Agent-appropriate documentation for instructions on how to run backups.