Advanced Backup/Archive Options (Media)
You can select advanced backup/archive media options for the operation. Note that all the options described in this help may not be available and only the options displayed in the dialog box are applicable to the agent or enabler for which the information is being displayed.
Start New Media
This option starts the backup/migration/archive operation on a new media, which causes the following to occur:
- If removable media is used, the current active media is marked as Appendable and a new media is used for the backup/migration/archive.
- If disk media is used, a new volume folder is created for the backup/migration/archive.
If cleared, the operation automatically uses the current active media or volume.
When using the Informix iDataAgent, if you are using tape and do all of the following, the tape will be marked full for both the data storage policy and the logical logs storage policy, and new media will be made available for both the logs and data even though you are backing up just the logical logs:
- Define a subclient with different storage policies for the logical logs and the data
- Prepare to back up just the logical logs
- Select the Start new media option before you start the backup
This option marks media full, 2 minutes after the completion of the backup/archive operation. If any jobs are initiated within the 2 minutes, they are allowed to write to the media. If the job was associated with the prior media, new media (such as a new tape) will be used for subsequent jobs. (Applies to all backup/archive types.)
Allow other Schedule to use Media Set
This option allows jobs that are part of a schedule policy or schedule and using a specific storage policy to start a new media and also prevent other jobs from writing to the set of media. It is available only when the Start New Media and Mark Media Full options are enabled, and can be used in the following situations:
- When one scheduled job initiates several jobs and you only want to start new media on the first job.
- When you want to target specific backups to a media, or a set of media if multiple streams are used.
Skip metafile creation
- A metafile of the data on the specified volume will not be created as part of the backup, saving some time.
- The data can only be restored using Volume Level restore. (The metafile is required for File Level restore.)
If cleared, a metafile will be created, and the data can be restored using either File Level restore or Volume Level restore.
Reserve Resources Before Scan
Normally, media is reserved for a job before the operation phase (backup or archive). When selected, this option will reserve the media before the scan phase. This reserves the media earlier because the scan phase precedes the operation phase.
Wait for Inline Backup Resources
If you are performing a data protection/archive operation on a subclient with a storage policy that has the Inline Copy option enabled, then this option specifies that the operation should wait until resources are available for both the data protection/archive operation and the Inline Copy. (This option is available only if an Inline Copy is created on the storage policy that is being used for this data protection operation).
If cleared, the data protection operation will create the Primary copy even if there are not enough resources to create the Inline Copy.
Override Job Retention
- Infinite: Select this option to retain this job indefinitely.
- Number of Days: Select this option to prune this job after the number of days specified.
- Storage Policy Default: Select this option to apply the retention rules of the associated storage policy, which is the default option.