CommCell Console - Advanced
- Using the CommCell Console
- Navigate Console Windows
- Find a Window Entity
- Filter the Contents of a Window
- Print the Contents of a Window
- Save the Contents of a Window to a File
- Email the Contents of a Window
- View Installed Components
- Configuring the Maximum Number of Console Connections
- Hiding CommCell Elements
- Customizing the CommCell Console
- Property Sheet Warning
The following table displays the different operations that you can perform from the windows within the CommCell Console:
|Navigate Console Windows||You can configure the views of the CommCell Console panes, tabs and windows.
From the CommCell Console ribbon, on the View tab, you can perform the following operations:
|Find a Window Entity||
To find an entity in a window:
If the entity exists in the associated window, it will be highlighted.
|Filter the Contents of a Window||
To filter the contents of a window:
The window is filtered by the entity selected.
|Print the Contents of a Window||
To print the contents of a window:
|Save the Contents of a Window to a File||
To save the contents of a window to a file:
|Email the Contents of a Window||
To email the contents of a window:
|Viewing Installed Components||You can view a list of software components installed on a given client computer by right-clicking the client computer, selecting View, and then selecting Installed Software. This dialog box will show all components installed on the client, including those that do not appear as separate components under the client node in the CommCell Console (such as Offline Mining components).|
You can configure a maximum number for the number of users who can connect to the CommCell Console.
- To the CommServe computer, add the MaxJavaConnections additional setting as shown in the following table.
For instructions on adding the additional setting from the CommCell Console, see Add or Modify an Additional Setting.
Property Value Name MaxJavaConnections Category CommServDB.GxGlobalParam Type Integer Value The number of connections allowed
You can hide features and options that users can access in the CommCell Console. For example, certain users do not need access to all options in the CommCell, particularly administrative functions.
The CV_Restricted_Visibility user group must be created to hide CommCell elements from selected users. When assigned to this user group, members can see only a portion of all available options in the CommCell. The following elements are excluded from the restricted view of the CommCell Console:
- Tools menu
- Toolbar buttons including Alert, Scheduler, Control Panel, and Web Console
- CommCell Browser nodes including Security, Storage Resources, Policies, Content Director, and Workflows
- At the CommCell root node, the right-click menu and all related options
- At the Client Computers node, all options on the right-click menu, except for Customize View
- At each client computer node, the Properties and Send Log Files options on the right-click menu
The following elements are included in the restricted view of the CommCell Console:
- Menus including Home, Reports, View, and Support.
- Toolbar buttons including CommCell, Job Controller, Event Viewer, What's New, and Getting Started
- CommCell Browser nodes including the CommCell root node, Client Computers, and Reports
- The Customize View option on the right-click menu of the Client Computers node
- All options on the right-click menu for each client computer node, except for Properties and Send Log Files
Use the following steps to hide CommCell elements from selected users.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommCell root node, then select Properties.
- In the CommCell Properties dialog box, select the Additional Settings tab and click Add.
- In the Name box, type nRestrictedViewEnabled.
Once entered, the Category and Type details will be automatically populated.
- In the Value box, type 2.
- Click OK.
- Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
- Restart the CommCell services.
When the CommCell services restart, the CV_Restricted_Visibility user group will appear under the Security > CommCell User Groups node.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Security > CommCell User Groups.
- Right-click the CV_Restricted_Visibility user group and then click Properties.
- In the Users tab, move users that should have the restricted view from the Available Users list to the Member Users list.
Ensure that you assign a user to at least one other user group (for example, View All user group), otherwise that user will not be able to access the CommCell Console.
Once a user is added to the CV_Restricted_Visibility user group, the user will have a restricted view of the CommCell Console as shown below:
All windows containing multiple entities provide several options for displaying, searching, and manipulating those entities. You can access these options in the following ways:
- as a right-click menu for any field in the active window.
- from the Table Menu located at the upper right hand corner of the active window.
The following options are available for all windows containing multiple entities:
|Auto Resize This Column "<column name>"||Resizes the selected column to the default size. See Change Table Views for instructions.|
|Auto Resize All Columns||Resizes all columns in the selected window to the default size. See Change Table Views for instructions.|
|Select All the Cells||Focuses on all fields in the selected window. See Change Table Views for instructions.|
|Clear Selection||Removes focus from all fields in the selected window. See Change Table Views for instructions.|
|Horizontal Scroll||Resizes all columns to fit the data displayed in the column's fields. See Change Table Views for instructions.|
|Choose Columns||Select or clear columns to view in the selected window. You can select or clear multiple columns by holding down the Ctrl key. See Change Table Views for instructions.|
|Save||Saves the status of all entities in the active window to a file. You can choose to save this information in .csv, .pdf, or .xls formats. See Save the Contents of a Window to a File for instructions.|
|Creates a new email message and select a file format in which the component will be attached to the message (.pdf or .xls). See Email the Contents of a Window for instructions.|
|Prints the status of all entities in the active window. See Print the Contents of a Window for instructions.|
|Paragraph||Changes the columns to a paragraph view. See Change Table Views for instructions.|
|Find||Opens a Find box at the bottom of the window. Type the name of the entity you wish to find. See Find a Window Entity for instructions.|
|Filter||Adds an arrow to the column heading. Click the arrow to filter the column values. See Filter the Contents of a Window for instructions.|
|Group by||Groups entities together based on the column title selected. See Change Table Views for instructions.|
For user preferences to take effect, the user must log out and log back into the CommCell Console.
|Change the Default Time Zone||To change the time zone:
|Change the Default Date and Time Formats||To change the date and time formats:
|Select an Interface Style||To select a CommCell Console windows style:
|Change the Default User Preferences Display||
To navigate to User Preferences:
|Select the Default Windows to Display Upon Login||
To select the default CommCell windows to display when you log on:
|Add or Remove Tool Bars||
To add or remove toolbars:
When you close the CommCell Console, your preferences are saved.
|Change Job Controller Display||
To change the default display for the Job Controller window:
|Change Event Viewer Display||
To change the default display for the Event Viewer window:
|Change Table Views||
To change the table views in windows, for example, in the Job Controller window:
When you close the CommCell Console, your preferences are saved. To save your preferences without closing the CommCell Console, in the bottom right of the console, on the status bar, click the Save User Preferences icon.
|Save Table Views||
To save the table preferences for the tables in the following windows:
An alert can be configured to send e-mail notifications to user groups created from within the CommCell Console as well as external domain user groups. However, individual external domain users will not receive the alert notification e-mail if they have not previously logged on to the CommCell Console. Users (from the user groups created from within the CommCell Console) will receive the alert e-mail notification regardless of their login status.
A scheduled report can be configured to be sent via e-mail to user groups created from within the CommCell Console as well as external domain user groups. However, individual external domain users will not receive the report via e-mail if they have not previously logged on to the CommCell Console. Users (from the user groups created from within the CommCell Console) will receive the report e-mail regardless of their login status.
When a user opens a property sheet (dialog box) that is already opened by another user, an overwrite warning appears. The warning includes the name of the other user. If all of the users make changes to the property sheet, only the changes made by the last user are saved.