Configuring Data Encryption on a Subclient or an Instance
You can enable and specify where encryption must be performed during backups or disable encryption settings on a specific subclient or an instance properties.
Before You Begin
- Make sure you have encryption enabled on client level. For instructions, see Configuring Data Encryption on a Client.
- For database agents like Oracle, DB2 and so on, that use Application Command Line options to run backups (for example Oracle RMAN commands) encryption must be enabled at the client level prior to configuring encryption on any instances or subclients residing on that client.
Note: Application command line encryption is supported only for DB2, DB2 DPF, DB2 pureScale, Informix, Oracle, Oracle RAC, SAP for MAXDB, SAP for Oracle, and SAP HANA agents.
- From the CommCell Console, expand Client Computer > client > agent > backupset.
- Right-click subclient or instance and click Properties.
- In the Subclient Properties dialog box, click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Subclient Properties or Modify Instance Property dialog box, on the Encryption tab, choose one of the following options for data encryption:
Options Description None Disables encryption on selected subclient or instance. Media Only (MediaAgent Side) Backup data is transmitted without encryption and then encrypted prior to storage. During restore operation, data is decrypted by the client. Network and Media (Agent Side) When enabled, backup data is encrypted before transmission and is stored encrypted on the media. During restore operations, data is decrypted by the client.
This is the default option.
Network Only (Agent Encrypts, MediaAgent Decrypts) Backup data is encrypted for transmission and then decrypted prior to storage on the media. During restore operations, data is encrypted by the MediaAgent and then decrypted in the client.
- Click OK and then click OK to close Subclient Properties dialog box.