Creating a Silo Copy
Use Silo Copy to copy the deduplicated data to tape without rehydrating the data. This means the same deduplication ratio that is achieved on disk can also be achieved to tape.
A silo copy is used to extend storage of deduplicated data to tape.
You can create a silo copy by using the sp_copycreation.xml configuration file. For more information, see Creating a Silo Copy using XML
Before You Begin
Before creating a silo copy, ensure that you have met the following requirements:
- Windows File System Agent is installed on the CommServe® system.
- For the global deduplication policy:
- The silo storage operations are performed from the global deduplication policy.
- Do not create a silo copy on the deduplication-enabled storage policy copy that is associated with the global deduplication policy.
- No backup jobs are run to the deduplicated storage policy or global deduplication policy.
For existing deduplicated storage policy or global deduplication policy with backup data, seal the deduplication database (DDB) and then create a silo copy. See Sealing the Deduplication Database for instructions.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies > Storage Policies > storage_policy or global_deduplication_policy.
- Right-click the appropriate deduplication enabled storage policy copy and then click All Tasks > Create New Silo Copy.
- In the Copy Properties dialog box, enter the following information:
- In the Copy Name box, type the name for the silo copy.
- From the Library list, select the tape library.
- From the MediaAgent list, select the name of a MediaAgent.
- From the Drive Pool list, select the drive pool.
- From the Scratch Pool list, select the default scratch pool.
- Click OK.
A message is displayed that states how to create a schedule to move deduplicated volumes to silo storage.
- Click OK.
The silo copy appears under the storage policy node.
When you create a silo copy, you cannot delete it. However, you can create a new storage policy and re-point the necessary subclients to this storage policy.
- A silo storage set with Silo_Backup_Set_storage policy name_storage policy copy name is displayed under Client Computers > CommServe Client > File System.
This silo storage set is an on-demand backup set that contains silo data.
You can modify the on-demand backup set settings to improve the security and integrity of the data. See Modifying Silo Storage Backup Set Settings for more information.