Rebuilding the Macintosh Operating System
Rebuild the operating system in the event of a disaster.
Before You Begin
- Ensure that the destination client is same as source client while performing a disaster recovery.
- Make sure to Install the Macintosh Operating System on the system that you want to restore. Make sure to install the Operating System exactly as it existed prior to a hardware or software corruption problem.
- The client computer must have an install partition with the Macintosh File System iDataAgent installed on it. Make sure to enable the Networking option. The TCP/IP, hostname, and domain name settings of the default install must match those of the system that you are restoring.
- Place the Macintosh installation CD into the drive.
To boot the system from the CD, press the power-on button while holding down the c key. When the Apple logo displays you can release the c key.
- From the Installer menu, select Open Disk Utility...
- Partition a drive using the Disk Utility.
- Select a disk.
- In the Partition tab, click Split and then select the desired partition.
- In the Volume Information box, enter a Name for the partition (which we will refer to as mini_root in this procedure)
- In the Format box, select Mac OS Extended.
- In the Size box, enter a number that is at least 2 GB greater than the minimum space requirements for the version of Mac OS X that you are trying to install
- Press Return.
Repeat these steps for each remaining disk/partition
- Click Partition
- Click Partition on the confirmation message.
- After the partition has been created, quit the Disk Utility.
- In the Select Destination screen, select the mini_root partition created in step 3 above and then click Continue.
- Click Install.
The install program starts copying the software. This step may take a while to complete. After the OS software installation has completed, the system will restart automatically.
- After the system has restarted, enter registration information, then assign the computer name and IP address using the same settings that were used in the original installation.
If you are prompted to update your system software, select Quit Software Update.
- Open a Terminal window, then enter sudo passwd root
When prompted, provide a password for root.
- Switch to the root user.
su - root
- Install the Macintosh File System Agent to the same CommServe using the same Client name that was used during the previous installation.
We recommend that you adjust your Energy Saver settings before restoring the system so that the computer, display and hard disk will not be put to sleep during the restore.