Recovering Macintosh File System Data
Recover the entire file system data to the same or different client in the event of a disaster.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers | <Client> | File System.
- Right-click the defaultBackupSet and then click All Tasks | Browse and Restore.
- In the Restore Options dialog box, click the Advanced Options tab.
- Select the Starting Path check box and enter the file system path to the data you wish to restore. You can type "/" as the path to restore the entire content.
- Click View Content.
- Click Recover All Selected.
- Clear the Restore to same folder check box.
- In the Destination Client list, select the client. If you are mounting the new root file system at /mnt, type or accept "/mnt" as the restore destination in the Specify Destination Path box.
- Click Browse and select the original root partition (which is currently mounted under the Volumes directory).
Do not select Unconditional Overwrite option.
Restored data retains its original permissions. The ACLs are restored after the permissions are restored.
- Click Advanced.
- Click the Paths/Filters tab.
- Under Source Item, click Add and type /Volumes.
- Click OK.
- Click Immediate from the Job Initiation tab.
- Click OK.
You can monitor the progress of the restore job in the Job Controller window of the CommCell Console.
- Open a Terminal window on the client and navigate to the original root partition which is currently mounted under the Volumes directory.
- Re-create the Volumes directory
- Make the newly restored root bootable using the bless command.
bless -folder "/Volumes/<original root partition>/System/Library/CoreServices" -setOF
- Restart the computer.
The system boots to the newly restored root.