File System End-User Erase - Web Console
You can browse and perform operations on files and folders that users backed up from client computers. If you have received a warning or alert email message indicating that your backup usage is near or over your quota, you can use the File System End-User Erase feature to erase unwanted files and folders from backup storage. You can erase these files or folders by logging in to the Web Console. The files and folders you erase are excluded from the next synthetic full backup of that client computer.
The Web Console indicates Disk Usage. As you erase files and folders, the usage indicated in the Web Console goes down. The remaining quota is available for new backups of your client computers.
To see what is currently backed up, or to erase files and folders, use the procedures given here.
If your organization uses the optional quota management feature (see File System Backup Quota - Overview), you can see a summary of the amount of data you have backed up, along with your current quota. Follow these steps:
- Log on to the Web Console and click My Data. Your administrative staff can give you the address of your Web Console if you do not know it.
- The My Data page shows the amount of backup media currently being used to back up the client computers you own. It also compares your current usage to your quota, in the form of the Disk Usage progress bar. A green bar indicates an under-quota condition, while red indicates over-quota. (Note: if no backup quota is set for your userid, you will not see the progress bar.)
- You can view the size of data backed up at the computer level on the My Data page (under the Size heading), or at the folder level by clicking Restore and looking at the individual folders.
The Size information that appears beside each client computer name indicates only the data backed up from the default backup set.
You can browse through your data and erase some of it using this procedure.
- Log on to the Web Console and click My Data.
Note: The size shown beside each client on the My Data page includes only data backed up by the default subclient in the default backup set
- Under the computer name from which you want to erase data, click Restore.
- Browse or search to locate the files that you want to erase.
For more information, see Browsing Data from the Web Console.
- To erase files, you can either:
- Right-click the file name, and then click Erase.
- Select the check box next to the file or files that you want to erase and then click Erase.
- When using search, click Erase All to erase all of the files on the search results page.
- Click Yes to confirm and erase the files you selected.
Caution: Erasing a single version of a file is not supported by the File System End-User Erase feature. If you are browsing versions of a file, and erase one version, then all versions of the file will be deleted. That is, the file will be deleted from the backup entirely.