Hyperconverged Storage Pool - Automatic Configuration Method
You can use the automatic configuration method, if you have a bare metal server and you want to set it up as a storage pool appliance.
Before You Begin
Ensure that the server on which you plan to install the MediaAgent and the Hyperconverged Storage Pool adheres to the following:
- The server has the Solid State Drives (SSD). For more information about the SSD specifications see, Hardware Specifications for Deduplication Partitioned Mode.
- To achieve disk level redundancy and for better performance, we recommend to have “Non-RAID” on spindle disks for storage. However, if there is already a hardware RAID card in the server, you must bypass the RAID card and configure them as independent physical disks.
- Ensure that 10 GigE network card must be used for Hyperconverged Storage Pool communication.
- For creating or scaling out the Hyperconverged Storage Pool, we recommend to use the same size disk.
- Ensure that the underscore "_" special character is not used in any MediaAgent or Hyperconverged Storage Pool name.
- Each MediaAgent node must have two NIC cards.
- One NIC card is used for Commvault communication and the IP address associated with the NIC card must resolve to the host name used for Commvault communication.
- The other NIC card is used for storage pool communication and the IP address associated with the NIC card must resolve to the host name used for Commvault communication with sds suffix.
For example: If the IP address associated with NIC used for Commvault communication resolves to hostname scaleout1, the IP address associated with NIC used for storage pool communication will resolve to scaleout1sds.
The process flow for automatically setting up the Hyperconverged Storage Pool involves the following tasks in the order listed:
- Download the DVD from the cloud location as follows:
- Open a Web browser, and then go to https://cloud.commvault.com.
- Click Member Login and in the Cloud Services window, enter the user name and password, and then click Login.
- Download the latest version of ScaleOutStorage-VxSPy.iso.
Where: x is the latest Commvault version and y and is the latest Service Pack version.
For Example: For Commvault V11 and Service Pack 4 it will be ScaleOutStorage-V11SP4.iso.
Note: For Red Hat 7.x distributions, you must create the Software Defined Storage (SDS) ISO image. For information, see Creating a Bootable DVD with Software Defined Storage (SDS) ISO image.
- Boot the server with the downloaded installation DVD.
Important: While booting the server, the SSD drives are automatically detected and used for the operating system and the deduplication database partitions. However, if no SSD drive is detected while booting the server, the system will prompt you to select the drives for the operating system and the deduplication database partitions.
- After imaging, when prompted, remove the DVD and reboot the server. Type root in the Username box and cvadmin in the Password box.
- Skip this step if you have dynamic IP addresses. For static IP addresses, configure the network and register with the CommServe host and go to Step 8. For more information see, Configuring StoragePool Appliance Network With Static IP addresses and Registering to the CommServe Host.
- Verify that all the MediaAgents that will become a part of the StoragePool should be able to resolve the IP address associated with data protection network and StoragePool network.
- Register the appliance with the CommServe host by typing the following command on the MediaAgent node.
[root@machine_namefs2 MediaAgent]# pwd
[root@machine_namefs2 MediaAgent]# ./setupsds
- Running the setupsds command will open a wizard, select Skip and then click Enter.
- Type the CommServe host credentials to register the MediaAgent nodes with the CommServe host:
- In the Commserve User name box type the CommCell login details.
- In the Commserve password box, type the Commcell password.
- In the Commserve hostname box, type the CommServe hostname.
- In the Hostname of the server box, type the MediaAgent node name.
- Click OK.
- After all the MediaAgent nodes are registered, verify the default configurations. For more information see, Verifying the Default Configurations.
Important: You must configure at least 3 MediaAgent nodes to configure a Storage Pool. If necessary, you can use the No. of MediaAgents additional setting to change this value as per your requirement.
- On the CommCell Console, by default 5% of the total disk space or 2 TB (which ever is lower) is set as the Reserve Space on the Mouth Path Properties > Allocation Policy tab
For example: If you have 100 TB of disk storage, 2 TB will be reserved.
- Associate the auto created storage policy with subclients and perform client backups.
For more information on how to run backups, see the documentation for the specific agent.