Use this dialog box to view and modify index file parameters and retention criteria.Index Directory
- Enable this Access Path
Select to make the path in Index Directory active.
- Index Directory
This is the directory where index data is stored.
You can change this directory. If it does not already exist, the MediaAgent software creates it in the default location, software_installation_directory/IndexCache.
When you change this setting, the MediaAgent copies the existing cache contents, and directs all new cache entries to the new directory. Because the Windows MediaAgent copies the existing cache contents, you may have to manually delete the original directory to free the disk space it occupied in the old location.
- Use a file system dedicated to index data, so that non-index data does not consume index capacity.
- Estimate your Index Directory space requirements with a margin of safety. Allocate a bit more space, rather than less. If you are maintaining backward-compatible content indexes generated by a previous software version, the Index Directory folder may need more space.
- Do not locate the Index Directory on a compressed drive.
- For best performance, locate the Index Directory on an SSD (solid state drive) disk.
- For Windows, do not place the Index Directory folder directly under the software_installation_directory.
- For Unix, do not specify root as the Index Directory.
- When entering the complete Index Directory path:
- Do not exceed 75 characters.
- Do not use the "!" character.
- Do not use any Unicode characters.
- Do not host the Index Directory on your CommServe computer unless it has your only MediaAgent.
Click to locate the Index Directory in a Windows tree and set it.
- Offline Reason
If the Index Directory is offline, this field displays the reason.
- Retain index for n days
Sets the number of days an index for a subclient is retained in the MediaAgent. When an index is older than this, it is aged (deleted) by a job that runs on a schedule every 24 hours.
- Generate alerts when free space falls below n GB
If the amount of free space in the Index Directory is below this number of gigabytes, the system sends alerts to the administrator email account. See Disk space low on MediaAgent.
- Take the Index offline when free space falls below n GB
This is the total space that must be available in the Index Directory for it to remain online. If Index Directory Space > Free Space falls below this setting, the disk is taken offline and event-driven cleanup begins. See Event-Driven Cleanup.
- Cleanup until free space is at least
When an event-driven cleanup runs, if the percentage of used space remaining is still greater than this after aged indexes are deleted, additional indexes are removed on a least-recently-used basis, until the used disk space percentage becomes equal to or less than this value. See Event-Driven Cleanup.
Index Directory Space
These fields display the current state of Index Directory space usage.
- Total Size
The total space in gigabytes that is available in the Index Directory. Note that when the Index Directory is changed, the Index Directory Total Space shown in the CommCell Console may not reflect the new value for up to 30 minutes.
Index Directory space currently taken up with actual index data.
- Other Data
Index Directory space currently taken up with data that is not in actual index files.
- Free Space
The free space available in the Index Directory. Note that when the Index Directory is changed, the Index Directory Free Space value in the CommCell Console may not reflect the new value for up to 30 minutes.