Media Operations - Troubleshoot
When a media exceeds the Media Expiration Thresholds the condition of the media is marked as Expired and the media is moved to Expired Media pool.
- You can view the Media Expiration Threshold Parameters from the Hardware Maintenance Thresholds (Media Retirement) dialog box.
- Verify the condition of the media as described in View the Condition of a Media.
Cause: The media may be exported or may have been moved to the Retired Media pool. In some situations, it may also be difficult to scan the media list, especially in libraries that have the capacity to store a large number of media.
Solution: Use the find media feature as described in Find a Media to search for a specific media.
Solution: Check the Use Appendable Media within n Day (s) of its last write time option in the Library Properties (Media) tab to see if it is enabled. Also verify the number of days established for the option.
In addition note that the Appendable media is NOT selected for reuse only under the following conditions:
- When the media belongs to a different storage policy.
- If it was the last written media in that storage policy - in such a case, one spare media must be available before the system goes back to the appendable media. This is to ensure that the condition that caused the media to be skipped is cleared.
- Synthetic full backups will not use Appendable media.
- A job option which has the Start New Media option enabled, will not use appendable media.
Cause: The cleaning media may have expired.
This may happen when the expired cleaning media is loaded in the drive by a data protection operation or a drive cleaning operation. In this situation you may see an error similar to the following:
The SCSI device reported that the source or target medium is not present. Please check to see if the Library Arm Changer and Drive is functioning correctly.
Solution: The unload operation may also fail. Hence physically remove the media from the drive. Use a new cleaning media to clean the drive. Make sure that the cleaning media is imported into the cleaning media pool.