Tools - Executing Other Applications from the CommCell Console
You can execute any application directly from the CommCell Console. For example, enter mstsc as the executable name to configure a Remote Desktop connection option to be accessed by any client in the CommCell (at the CommServe, MediaAgent or client level).
- On the CommCell Console ribbon, click the Home tab, and then click Control Panel.
- Under the Others section, click Quick Access Tools.
Alternatively, right-click the client computer, point to Tools and click Customize tools.
- Click Add.
The Create Tool dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the Alias Name box, type the name you want to see in the Tools menu in the CommCell Console.
Tip: To create submenus in the Tools menu, create tool names in the following format: submenu_name_level_1\submenu_name_level_n\tool_name. You can add as many submenu levels as needed. Every tool with the same submenu path is grouped under that path. For example, the Admin\Maintenance\DB Maintenance and the Admin\Maintenance\Hardware Refresh tools both appear in the "Maintenance" submenu under the "Admin" submenu.
- From the Tool Type list, select EXECUTABLE.
- In the Executable Name box, type the executable file name.
For example, to configure a Remote Desktop connection as a tool, type mstsc.
- If your application requires parameters to run, in the Parameters box, type your parameters.
For example, type %CLIENT_NET_HOSTNAME% to automatically retrieve the hostname of the CommServe, MediaAgent or client computer you are trying to access.
For information on parameters, see Configuring the Parameters Needed for an Application to Run.
- To limit the tool to specific clients, do the following:
- From the OS Type list, select the operating system of the clients where you want the tool to appear.
- From the Associate tool to list, clear All and select the clients where you want the tool to appear.
- To change from where the tool runs, click a computer from the Run tool on list.
By default, the tool runs from the computer where the CommCell Console is installed.
- To make the tool visible to other users, on the Security tab, click Public, and add users and user groups to the User/User Groups box.
By default the tool is only visible to you.
- Click OK.
The tool appears when you right-click your client and go to Tools.