Creating a Role
A role is a group of permissions. After you create a role, you create a security association with it. All of the users and user groups that are a part of the security association inherit the permissions in the role.
Tip: Instead of creating a new role, you can update a predefined role.
Before You Begin
- You must have the Change security settings permission at the CommCell level.
- If you want to control who can use the role to create security associations, security on roles must be enabled. For instructions, see Enabling Security on Roles.
To edit the security association of a role, you must have the permissions described in Security Associations.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Security, right-click Roles and click New Role.
The New Role dialog box appears.
- Enter details for the role:
- In the Name box, type the name of the role.
- Optional: In the Description box, type a description for the role.
- On the Permissions tab, select the permissions to associate with the role.
For a list of permissions and their definitions, see Permissions.
- If you have enabled security on roles, on the Security tab, create a security association that includes the View permission.
For information on creating security associations on a role, see Administering the Security Associations of an Entity.
Note: The creator of the role is automatically assigned the View role. The View role is a system-generated role and only contains the View permission.
- Click OK.
What to Do Next
Use the role to create a security association.