Creating a Subclient for a DB2 Online Subclient
In some environments, you cannot shut down a database to perform an offline backup. In such situations, you can perform an online backup, where the database is running during the backup.
Full backups include all the datafiles, tablespaces, and log files. Incremental backups include only the changed data and the log files and are faster to run than full backups.
You can configure the subclient to use the DB2 Advanced Copy Services (ACS) interface. When you use the DB2 ACS interface for an IntelliSnap backup, the Commvault software registers the IntelliSnap backup with the DB2 application catalog.
Note: If you want to perform an IntelliSnap backup of data that is located on a LUN device, the path for the DB2 log files must be on the LUN device or the backup will go to a pending state.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > DB2 > Instance.
- Right-click the backup_set, point to All Tasks, and then click Create Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- In the General tab, in the Subclient name box, type a name for the subclient.
- On the Content tab, select the following options:
- Select the Data check box.
- Select the Online Database option.
- On the Storage Device tab, from the Data Storage Policy list, select the storage policy that you want to use.
- On the Advanced Options tab, select the Backup Log Files check box.
- Optional: To exclude the DB2 logs from the backup image on a DB2 version that is 9.5 or later, on the Content tab, select the Exclude Logs from Backup Image check box.
- On the Advanced Options tab, select the log file backup options.
Option Description Delete Log Files After check box Delete the log files after the backup.
This option deletes the log files from the archive log path. You can also delete the log files after a specified time period. For more information, see Setting the Time Used for Deleting Older Archive Logs.
Disable Switch Current Log check box Disable the log file switch.
If you do not select this option (that is, the switch is on), then the current redo log file is closed (even if it is not filled up completely) and the next redo log file is used for writing using a log switch. The closed redo log file is then archived during the log phase.
- On the IntelliSnap Operations tab, select the following options:
- Select the IntelliSnap check box.
- From the Available Snap Engines list, select the engine that matches your snapshot type. For a list of available engines for your array, see Snapshot Engine.
- To use the DB2 ACS interface, select the Use DB2 ACS Interface check box.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
Run scripts before or after the backup operation.
On the Pre/Post Process tab, do the following:
- In the PreBackup Process box, type the full path for the script.
- In the PostBackup Process box, type the full path for the script.
- To run the post-process backup script whether the job succeeds or fails, select the Run Post Process for all attempts check box.
Use compression to optimize backup storage.
- On the Advanced Options tab, select the Use Db2 compression check box.
When you select this option, the Commvault software applies the DB2 compression feature to all the backups for this subclient.
Fore more information about DB2 compression, go to the DB2 Knowledge Center, compression and storage.
Use the DB2 DEDUP_DEVICE parameter.
When you select this option, the Commvault software uses the DB2 deduplication parameter, DEDUP_DEVICE. This feature is available on DB2 version 9.7 with FixPack 3 and higher.
For additional information on the DEDUP_DEVICE parameter, go to the DB2 Knowledge Center, DEDUP_DEVICE.
On the Advanced Options tab, select the Use Dedupe Device check box.
Configure the number of streams that the software uses for the backup
On the Storage Device tab, click the Data Storage Policy tab, and then in the Number of Data Backup Streams box, type the number of streams that the software uses for the backup.
- Click OK.