Performing an Oracle Synthetic Full Backup
A synthetic full backup is a logical backup that the MediaAgent performs. It combines the most recent full backup and incremental backups to create a full backup image.
For more information on synthetic backups, see Synthetic Backups.
Use a synthetic full backup as part of your Active Database Management strategy so that you can have full backups for compliance without the overhead.
An Oracle synthetic full backup take a backup from a backup copy.
If the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode, you must back up the database offline.
If the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode and database accessibility is a priority, perform an online backup of the database.
Before You Begin
If you have not done so, create a backup copy. For more information, see Backup Copy for IntelliSnap Backup.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle > instance.
- Right-click the subclient and click Backup.
- On the Backup Options dialog box, select the backup type and job initiation:
- In the Backup Type section, select Synthetic Full.
- In the Job Initiation section, specify whether to run the backup now or if it will be scheduled.
Note: If you selected Schedule, set up the schedule.
For information on configuring a backup schedule, see Schedule Backups.
- Click OK to close the Backup Options dialog box.