Configuring Subclients for Control File or SP File Backups for Oracle
The Oracle control file contains the physical database structure and is required for a full system recovery (disaster recovery) scenario.
The Oracle server parameter (SP) file contains the database startup parameters and are not included in backups by default.
There are two options you can configure to automatically back up control files:
- Back up the control file for all subclients in an Oracle instance. For information on enabling the control file automatic backup at the instance level, see Enabling Automatic Backup of Control Files for All Oracle Subclients.
- Back up the control files for subclients when the Backup Control File option (Content tab) is selected as part of the subclient content. For information on enabling the control file automatic backup at the subclient, see Enabling Automatic Backups of the Oracle Control File at the Subclient Level. This procedure overrides the instance level setting.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle > instance.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the Content tab:
- Select the Backup Control File check box to include the control file in the backup.
- Select the Backup SP File check box to include the SP file in the backup.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
- In the Pre-Backup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- In the PostBackup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- To run the post backup process regardless of the job's outcome, select the Run Post Process for all attempts check box.
- There is no physical and logical block corruption in the datafiles
- The database files exist and are in the correct location
- Click OK to close the Create New Subclient dialog box.
Run scripts before or after the backup
You can choose to run the post-process script even if the backup job failed.
To pass the database instance name to the script, see Passing the Instance Name to Pre and Post Scripts for Databases.
On the Pre/Post tab:
Uniquely identify the backup
On the Advanced tab, select the Backup Tag check box.
Enter a backup tag in the box.
You can include variables in the tag. For information on the supported tag variables, see supported Oracle tag variables.
Have the Commvault software automatically validate backup jobs performed on this subclient
Backup validation checks for the following conditions:
RMAN simulates the backup job without the media to determine whether the backup can be successfully performed.
On the Advanced tab, click the Options tab and then select the Validate check box.