Configuring Subclients for Oracle Pluggable Database Backups
You can create subclients for pluggable databases that frequently change or have a different backup schedule than the Container Database.
You can create subclients for specific datafiles and tablespaces that frequently change or have a different backup schedule than the entire database.
Note: When you create an IntelliSnap subclient for one or more pluggable databases, you must include the CDB$ROOT and PDB$SEED databases and seed database in the content.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, enter the Subclient Name.
- On the Content tab.
- Select the Online Subset option.
- Click Yes on the Warning dialog box.
- From the Current Database View, select the pluggable databases, datafiles, or tablespaces to include.
Note: For pluggable databases, you must select the PDB$SEED entry, and the CDB$ROOT entry.
- Select the Backup Control File check box to include the control file in the backup.
- Select the Backup SP File check box to include the SP file in the backup.
- On the Storage Device tab select the name of the Data Storage Policy.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
Run scripts before or after the backup
You can choose to run the post-process script even if the backup job failed.
To pass the database instance name to the script, see Passing the Instance Name to Pre and Post Scripts for Databases.
On the Pre/Post tab:
- In the Pre-Backup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- In the PostBackup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- To run the post backup process regardless of the job's outcome, select the Run Post Process for all attempts check box.
Uniquely identify the backup
On the Advanced tab, select the Backup Tag check box.
Enter a backup tag in the box.
You can include variables in the tag. See supported Oracle tag variables.
Exclude tablespaces from the backup
On the Options tab, select the check boxes to exclude the following tablespaces from the backup.
- Read Only
Have the Commvault software automatically validate backup jobs performed on this subclient
Backup validation checks for the following conditions:
- There is no physical and logical block corruption in the datafiles
- The database files exist and are in the correct location
RMAN simulates the backup job without the media to determine whether the backup can be successfully performed.
On the Advanced tab, click the Options tab and then select the Validate check box.
- Click OK to close the Create New Subclient dialog box.