Getting Started with the SQL Server Agent
Step 1: Review Requirements and Supported Features
Refer to the following information to learn more about the capabilities and requirements of the SQL Server Agent:
Step 2: Install the SQL Server Agent
Review each of the following topics to prepare for the installation and to select the installation method that is most appropriate for your environment.
Step 3: Prepare for Your First Backup and Restore
- Open the CommCell Console.
- Configure a Storage Device.
- Create a Storage Policy.
For more information, see Storage Policy - Getting Started.
- By default, the instances available on the SQL Server are automatically discovered and displayed in the CommCell Console.
If automatic discovery of instances was not enabled during the SQL Server Agent installation, you can also enable it after the installation. For more information, see Enabling Automatic Discovery of SQL Instances.
If you do not want future instances to be automatically discovered you can disable the automatic instance discovery and discover the instances manually. For more information, see Manually Discovering SQL Instances.
- By default, new databases created in the instance are automatically discovered and assigned to the default subclient, when the default subclient is backed up.
To disable automatic database discovery, see Disabling Automatic Discovery of SQL Databases.
Also, you can manually add database contents to any subclient. For more information, see Manually Discovering SQL Databases.
- Verify that the user account used to back up the SQL Server is accurate as described in Configuring User Accounts for the SQL Server Agent.
- Optional: To back up specific database content, create user-defined subclients.
For more information, see Configuring Subclients for Backing Up a Group of Databases.
- Optional: Decide whether you want the following additional functionality:
Step 4: Run Your First Backup and Restore
Step 5: Where to Go from Here
- To properly plan for rapid recovery of critical data and restoration of business functions in the event of a disaster, review Full System Recovery: SQL Server Agent.
- Configure Data Retention and Data Aging for this agent. For more information, see Data Aging - Overview.
- CommCell Quick Start Guide - Where to Go from Here.