Getting Started with Virtual Server Agent for Amazon RDS
Step 1: Before You Begin
- This page assumes you have already installed CommServe software. If not, refer to the CommCell Quick Start Guide.
- Review possible deployment scenarios.
Note: You must install a MediaAgent
- Refer to the following information to learn more about the requirements and capabilities of the Virtual Server Agent for Amazon:
Step 2: Install the Virtual Server AgentReview each of the following topics to get started with the installation:
- Plan the Installation on Windows Computers
Review general guidelines to prepare for the installation, which include configurations that your computer might need before the installation.
- Preinstallation Checklist for the Virtual Server Agent
Review agent specific guidelines to prepare for the installation, such as gathering the information that you must provide during the installation.
- Installation Methods
Select the installation method that is most appropriate for your environment.
Note: The CommServe host, MediaAgent, and VSA proxy must all be able to communicate with each other by using one of the following connections:
- AWS Direct Connect - On premises components and the AWS instance are within the same network. No firewall configuration is required.
- AWS VPN - Only available if the AWS instance is accessible through VPC. On premises components and the AWS instance are within the same network. No firewall configuration is required.
- If you do not use AWS Direct Connect or AWS VPN for communication between on premises components and the AWS proxy instance, you can configure a Commvault firewall connection between the on premises components and the AWS proxy instance.
Step 3: Install the MediaAgent
You must install a MediaAgent. Review the following topic:
Step 4: Prepare for Your First Backup and Restore
- Open the CommCell Console.
- Configure a storage device.
- Create a storage policy.
- Create a virtualization client.
- Create a subclient.
- Optional: Decide whether to add the following functionality:
- To be notified of events that require attention, see Alerts and Notifications - Overview.
- To report and analyze critical data about your CommCell operations, see Reports Overview.
- To manage security, see User Account and Password Management - Getting Started.
Step 5: Run Your First Backup and Restore
Step 6: Where to Go from Here
- To configure data retention and data aging for this agent, see Data Aging - Getting Started.