Creating a Subclient for Oracle VM
You can back up virtual machines using the default subclient or create a new subclient to protect a specific subset of virtual machines.
To provide protection for a specific set of virtual machines, create a new subclient. A user-defined subclient can identify virtual machines that have the same Service Level Agreement (SLA) or that need to be backed up on the same schedule.
Default Subclient Coverage for Unprotected Virtual Machines
The default subclient is preconfigured to back up all virtual machines that are not protected by other subclients.
When you create a virtualization client or a backup set, a default subclient is created automatically, and all virtual machines from the configured Oracle VM Manager deployment are automatically included in the default subclient content. This setting ensures that all virtual machines will be included in backup operations.
To prevent duplicate backups of virtual machines, any virtual machines that are included in a user-defined subclient are automatically excluded from the default subclient. (Duplicate backups still occur if a virtual machine is included in multiple user-defined subclients.)
In an Oracle VM Manager deployment, at least one subclient should be able to cover unprotected virtual machines. If you disable this feature for all subclients, some virtual machines might not be backed up.
When the default subclient is created, the Contents of subclient list in the Content tab displays All unprotected VMs as the content Type. That entry indicates that all virtual machines from the Oracle VM Manager that are not included in any other subclient in the backup set will automatically be backed up by the default subclient.
To remove the default coverage, you can delete the All unprotected VMs entry.
If you remove all entries from the Contents of subclient list, All unprotected VMs appears in the list again.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > OracleVM.
- Right-click a backup set and then click New Subclient.
- On the General tab, enter the Subclient name.
- Identify virtual machines to back up:
- On the Content tab, click Browse.
- Navigate to one or more virtual machines and select them.
- Click OK.
The selected virtual machines are displayed in the Contents of subclient list.
- On the Storage Device tab, select a Storage Policy.
- Optional: To specify proxies to be used for backups of the subclient, click the Advanced Options tab and add the proxies to be used.
If you do not specify proxies at the subclient level, the proxies specified at the instance level are used.
- Click OK.
The Backup Schedule dialog box appears.
- Click Do Not Schedule and then click OK.