Configuring a Subclient for Application-Aware Backups
Create a separate subclient for each different application that is included in application-aware backups:
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > instance.
- Right-click a backup set and click New Subclient.
- On the General tab, enter the Subclient name.
- Identify virtual machines to back up:
- Click the Content tab.
- Click Browse.
- Navigate to one or more virtual machines and select them.
- If a specific VM requires unique credentials, select that VM directly.
- You can include virtual machines running Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, or Oracle for Windows applications.
- For application-aware backups of Microsoft SharePoint, the content must be a virtual machine running a SQL Server configuration database that supports SharePoint operations.
Note: application-aware backups set up a maximum of two SharePoint web servers that provide front ends for SharePoint operations. Any additional SharePoint web servers that point to the same configuration database are ignored.
- Click OK.
The selected virtual machines are displayed in the Contents of subclient list.
You can also define rules to select or exclude virtual machines based on various criteria.
Important: Do not filter virtual machine disks. If a virtual machine disk is filtered, the VSA backup job completes with errors and the application backup job fails. You will not be able to restore application data.
- Click the Storage Device tab.
- Select a Storage Policy.
Important: The storage policy must have a Snap copy defined.
- For VMware IntelliSnap, ensure that IntelliSnap is enabled for the virtualization client.
- For VMware IntelliSnap, configure the subclient for IntelliSnap backups:
- Click the IntelliSnap Operations tab.
- Select IntelliSnap.
- From the Available Snap Engines list, select the engine for the storage array where the virtual machine running the application resides.
- Click the Advanced Options tab.
- To identify specific proxies to be used with this subclient, add one or more proxies that meet the requirements for application-aware backups.
- Click the Backup Options tab.
- Select Application Aware.
- Click Guest Credentials.
- The Set Credentials dialog box displays entries for any virtual machines or automatic discovery rules defined in the Content tab for the subclient.
- Specify credentials:
- To specify credentials for all VMs in the subclient, click Change and enter credentials that can be used to back up all VMs.
- To specify credentials for a specific VM or automatic discovery rule, select the entry, click Edit Credentials, and enter the new credentials.
- Click OK.