IntelliSnap Configuration - Windows File System iDataAgent
- Prior to performing an IntelliSnap backup, ensure that all the available hotfixes for Virtual Disk Service (VDS) and VSS are applied.
- When performing IntelliSnap backup for a Windows Cluster, a proxy server must be used for performing backup and restore operations.
- IntelliSnap backup on Windows supports basic disks.
Once installed, the Windows File System iDataAgent requires some additional configuration before running your first IntelliSnap backup. Follow the steps given below to complete the configuration for this Agent.
- From the CommCell Console, expand Client Computers > client.
- Right-click the appropriate client and click Properties.
In the Client Computer Properties dialog box, click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Client Computer Properties, click the Enable IntelliSnap option to enable IntelliSnap backup for the client.
- Click OK.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > File System.
- Right-click the appropriate backup set, point to All Tasks, and then click New Subclient.
- In the Subclient Properties dialog box, specify the basic settings for the subclient:
- In the Subclient Name box, type a name.
- On the Content tab, click Browse to select the directory or file that you want to back up, and then click Add.
Note: The subclient content must contain data that resides on the storage device volume. Do not include local drives or UNC paths as subclient content.
- Click the Storage Device tab. On the Data Storage Policy subtab, from the Storage Policy list, select the appropriate storage policy.
Note: Choose a Storage Policy that does not have both the Snap and the Primary copies pointing to libraries attached to a NAS File Server.
- If you use IntelliSnap, select an array.
- Click the IntelliSnap Operations tab.
- Select the IntelliSnap check box.
A message appears that tells you that the next backup will be a full backup.
- Click OK.
- From the Available Snap Engines list, select the engine that matches your snapshot type. For a list of available engines for your array, see Snapshot Engine.
- From the Use Proxy list, select the appropriate MediaAgent.
This is the MediaAgent that is used to perform the IntelliSnap and backup copy operations.
Note: When you perform an IntelliSnap backup using a proxy, make sure that the operating system on the proxy server is either same version or later than the operating system on the client computer.
- Optional: If you want to perform the backup copy operations on a different MediaAgent, select the Use Separate Proxy for Backup Copy check box, and then select the appropriate MediaAgent from the Proxy list.
- When performing IntelliSnap backup for Windows MSCS Cluster, a separate proxy server (external to the cluster nodes) must be used for mount, backup. and restore operations, as disk signature conflicts might occur if these operations are performed from one of the servers in the cluster.
- For Windows Storage Spaces, consider the following:
- To use a storage pool in Commvault, use a proxy computer to perform snap backup, backup copy, and restore jobs
- The operating system of the proxy computer must be of the same or later version than the operating system of the source client computer.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies > Storage Policies.
- Right-click the storage_policy and click All Tasks > Create New Snapshot Copy.
- In the Copy Name box, enter a name.
- From the Library list, MediaAgent list, Drive Pool list, Scratch Pool list, select the appropriate library, MediaAgent, drive pool and scratch pool.
Note: Drive pool and scratch pool are applicable only for tape libraries.
- Click OK.
A backup copy operation provides the capability to copy snapshots of the data to any media. It is useful for creating additional standby copies of data and can be performed during the IntelliSnap backup (inline) or at a later time (offline).
Follow the steps given below to configure Backup Copy for moving snapshots to media.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies | Storage Policies | <Storage Policy>.
- Right-click the appropriate <Storage Policy> and click Properties.
- In the Storage Policy Properties dialog box, click the Snapshot tab.
Select Enable Backup Copy checkbox to enable movement of snapshots to media.