Restoring Cross-Platform from Block-Level Backups
Cross-platform restores are supported only across platforms that support block-level backups. For more information about block-level backups, see Block-Level Backups.
Volume-level restores are supported only across similar platforms.
About This Task
In the Browse and Restore dialog box, Advanced Options tab, the client computer is selected in the Use proxy box, by default. However, if a different MediaAgent that is not compatible with the operating system is chosen, then the browse operation might fail.
For example, if the Windows client computer is backed up to a Linux MediaAgent and the Windows client computer is chosen as proxy MediaAgent, then you can browse the files.
Before You Begin
- Multinode restores are not supported for volume-level restores from a backup copy.
- Multinode restores are supported for volume-level restores from a snapshot copy. For more information about multinode restores, see Using Multiple Nodes to Restore Data to CIFS Shares with the Windows File System Agent.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers | Client | File System | Backup Set.
- Right-click the Subclient, and then click Browse and Restore.
- If you are performing a volume-level restore, in the Browse and Restore Options dialog box, select the Volume Level Browse (Restore the disk image/volume) check box.
- Optional: On the Advanced Options tab, select the Browse from copy precedence check box and type 2 to browse from the backup copy.
- Optional: From the Use MediaAgent list, select the local MediaAgent.
- Click View Content.
- Select the data that you want to restore and then click Recover All Selected.
- In the Restore Options for All Selected Items dialog box, clear the Restore to same folder check box.
- From the Destination Client list, select the destination client.
You can select any client that is in the same CommCell Console as the client from which the data was backed up.
- In the Specify destination path box, type the destination location for restore.
- Click OK.