Excluding Content from Backups Using the Windows File System Agent
Use the Subclient-level backup filters to exclude specific directories and files from backup operations.
Important: You can exclude SIS (Single Instance Storage) common store from the backup job. However, if SIS links are found in any of the files, then those files residing in the common store are backed up. SIS links do not fail during backup because they are automatically detected.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > File System > backup_set.
- Right-click the appropriate subclient and then click Properties.
- In the Subclient Properties dialog box, specify the basic settings for the subclient:
- In the Subclient name box, type the name of the subclient.
- On the Content tab, add the content to be backed up.
- Click the Filters tab.
- On the Filters tab, under Exclude these files/folders/patterns, click Browse.
- Click the file, folder, or directory that you want to exclude from backup operations, and then click Add.
Alternatively, click Add under Exclude these files/folders/patterns and type the path to files and folders that you want to exclude.
- Use wildcards to filter files or folders with a pattern. For information on using wildcards, see Wildcards for Windows File System.
- Use regular expressions to filter files or folders. For more information, see Content, Filters, and Regular Expressions.
- You can filter files and folders from a UNC path. Make sure that the UNC path starts with \\Computer Name\Share\ . For example, \\mycomputer.testlab.com\C\*.doc will exclude all the .doc files from the C: drive of mycomputer in the testlab domain.
- Click OK.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, click a storage policy name to associate with the subclient.
Tip: To create a new storage policy, click Create Storage Policy and follow the instructions in the storage policy creation wizard.
- Click OK.
When you run a backup job, the file or folder added is excluded from the backup.
|All directories that begin with a particular word, for example My_Filter||
|Fixed USB disks||<SF,UsbConnectedDrives>**\*|
|Recycle Bin Directories||
|a particular folder and the contained subfolders and files on a particular drive||
|all content that contains a special character||
|System Protected Files||<BIF,-SystemProtectedFiles> to disable the SystemProtectedFiles filter.
You can disable the SystemProtectedFiles filter by adding the <BIF,-SystemProtectedFiles> entry in the subclient content or to the subclient's filter.
|Existing snaps in a CIFS share||
|A large number of files||